Making my BIGGEST project yet!

 Welcome back! Another week, another project. 

As I showed you all last week, my smaller projects have been going well and have allowed me to get used to the different Cricut tools and the software. I decided last week that it was time to start designing my big project - a customized doormat! I'll refresh your memory and remind you of the design I chose:

       

So, this week, it was time to get started with making the digital version come to life! I was really hoping this project turned out on the first try because it is a gift for a friend. To get started, I gathered all of the supplies I need.
  1. My Ikea TRAMPA doormat. 
  2. My freezer paper.
  3. Black, weather proof spray paint called FLEX SEAL
I have linked the products above in case anyone is interested in making one of these mats themselves, if you also have a Cricut!
After getting my supplies together, I traced and cut the proper size for my freezer paper but unfortunately that is where I hit my first bump in the road....I didn't cut it straight at all! I had to try again and this time I was much more careful. I placed the correctly cut freezer paper and fed it into my Cricut, pressed start and crossed my fingers! 
Next, it was time to "weed" the design. This means I had to remove all of the excess freezer paper to create my stencil. Here is a photo of the stencil once I had completed the weeding:
It turned out great but now came the tricky part: placing it on the mat in the right spot and taping it down. This took a lot of measuring, shifting and patience but we got it centred. Then, I had to pin each centre of the letters "O," "A," and "E" so that they were fixed to the mat. This was the most time consuming part but as I got the hang of it, I got much quicker. Going forward, I think that I will be able to make these in much less time. 
Finally, it was time to spray....here is a photo after we sprayed the mat, before taking the stencil off:
So far, everything had gone quite smoothly and it was looking promising. However, I was nervous to see if any paint leaked through or under the freezer paper. We waited 20 minutes to be safe and then, it was time for the most satisfying part....taking off the stencil to see our design.
Finally.....what we've all been waiting for, a completed doormat:
I am so excited with how it turned out and I cannot wait to make some more! Now on to my next task: trying to SELL these items I have spent the last few weeks creating. Stay tuned...










Comments

Popular Posts